How to Nose your Gin
- Pour your gin into a nice clean glass. No ice yet. No garnish. And hang fire on the tonic!
- Because your sense of smell gets bored easily, it’s worth taking in a whiff of coffee beans before and during nosing. This will act as an olfactory palate cleanser as it cleans out your nasal passages so you can stay sensitive to the aromas.
- Close your eyes.
- Smell alternately using both left and right nostrils to engage different receptors.
- Be aware of fruity, spicy, herbal and sweet notes in particular. But bear in mind that everyone is different! Some people may have a strong sensitivity to certain types of aroma, but find difficulty in identifying others.
- Satisfied you’re on to something? Now you’re ready to taste!